Version 1.0 September 2021
What are Cookies?
A Cookie is a small file which asks your browser for permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site.
Cookies do different and useful jobs by gathering and remembering information about your preferences i.e. likes and dislikes. They allow web applications to respond to you as an individual and help the web application tailor its operations to your needs.
There are different types of cookies. All cookies are either session or persistent cookies, which are explained below:
Session or Persistent Cookies
- Session Cookieslast only for the duration of your visit to a web site and are deleted when you close your browser. They support tasks such as allowing a website to identify that a user of a particular device is navigating from page to page, supporting website security or basic functionality.
- Persistent Cookieslast after you have closed your browser and allow a website to remember your actions and preferences. How long each Cookie remains on your computer’s hard drive varies and is specific to each individual Cookie. Where possible we set a maximum lifespan of 12 months for these types of Cookies.
First and Third-Party Cookies
- First party Cookiesare those set by, or on behalf of, AGL’s website. These enable the website to run at an optimum level and enhance the user experience. They are also used to remember your preferences.
- Third party Cookiesare those which are set up by external companies or vendors. These Cookies are likely to be performance and targeting cookies, including analytics cookies to enable us to monitor and optimise our website.
Overall, Cookies help us provide you with a better website user experience, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A Cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us, which will be captured by the Cookie on your hard drive.
AGL use Session Cookies to identify which pages are being used, and for website use security purposes. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical and analysis purposes. These Cookies contain no personal information and are removed from your device once you leave the website.
AGL use Persistent Cookies to allow us to analyse customer visits to our website. These cookies help us to understand how users arrive at, and use, our site so we can improve our service. AGL does not use Persistent Cookies to provide targeted advertising based on the browsing history of the device.
Cookies we use
You cannot interact with the website until you have accepted your Cookie preferences. This change was made to comply with the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO) guidance.
We have categorised the Cookies we use as follows:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These Cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to a user’s actions, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in, or completing online forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies; however, some parts of the website will then not work. These Cookies do not store any personally information about you.
- Functional Cookies: These Cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these Cookies, then some or all of these services may not function properly. The information these cookies collect is anonymised (i.e. it does not contain your name, address, account details, etc.).
- Site Performance and Analytical Cookies: These Cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources, so that we can measure and improve the performance of our website. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information collected by these Cookies is aggregated and therefore anonymous; however, they may collect the IP address of the device used to access the site. If you do not allow the use of these Cookies, we will not know how customers use our online services and therefore, will not be able to monitor website performance.
- Social media Cookies: These Cookies enable us to track visits to our website, and to share our feeds with you on our webpage. They also allow website users to share content with friends and networks. If the use of these Cookies is not accepted, website users may not be able to use or see these tools.
By using AGL’s website, you agree that the Cookies described above can be placed on your device. However, you can block them by following the methods outlined below.
If you don’t want to accept Cookies; and how to remove Cookies
You can change the settings on your internet browser to accept all Cookies, to notify you when a Cookie is set, or not to receive Cookies at any time.
By switching cookies off (except for Strictly Necessary Cookies which are always enabled) you may lose some functionality, and some services may not be able to be provided to you. Furthermore, you will prevent us from obtaining valuable analytics information that helps us improve the content and functionality of our website.
If you want to delete any Cookies that are already on your computer, please refer to the instructions for your file management software to locate the file or directory that stores cookies.